Wednesday 27 January 2010

Kasey goes to school... at last!

Kasey turned 5 back in August last year. Today (27th January 2010) will be his first day at school. I have just finished cutting his lunch - the mandatory fritz and sauce sandwich that he loves so much - and it has to be smiley face fritz too - a banana, cheese stick, cherry tomato and a couple of mini muffins that we made together yesterday. His drink bottle is full, cold and ready to go in as well.

In an hour or so I will get him up and get him his breakfast, then get him dressed in his new school clothes. Aunty Heather will take some photos of him for me and I will add them later or perhaps tomorrow. Then we will drive the short distance to school, where we will spend the first half of the day together learning where things are and how the school day operates. I will leave at about lunch time and return to pick him up at 3:15pm.

I don't remember feeling like this when my own kids went to school for the first time! Things have changed a lot since they went to school - back then you just dropped the kids off at the class room and went home - there was none of the parental interaction with the kids in the class room that there seems to be these days. Next week, I will be spending a whole day at the school with the kids. His teacher is taking photos of all the kids, and parents/guardians are invited to spend the day at the school helping the kids to scrapbook their first days at school. Right up my alley, that.

No comments: